My public key is
B7B4 947E 05CE 6554. You can verify this, along with my social media accounts, using Keybase.
My Research Interests
My research is inspired by natural processes, and engineering of resource-constrained intelligent systems. My most notable achievements are in the area of Artificial Intelligence. Specifically, my work leverages multi-objective optimization, evolutionary computation, machine learning (AI), self-adaptivity and self-awareness to tackle problems, and has been applied in areas such as Cyber-Physical Systems, Cloud Computing, Internet-of-Things, and Software Defined Networks. In addition, my research has been featured in global press, including the BBC (UK), Daily Mail (UK), Hindustan Times (India). Xinhua(China), and The News (Pakistan).
- Mobile Cloud/Fog/Edge Computing
- Multi-Objective Optimisation
- Evolutionary Computation
- Self-Adaptive and Self-Aware Systems
- Software Defined Network (SDN)
- Software Engineering
- Machine Learning/Deep Learning/Neural Networks
Ph.D., Computer Science, 2019
Aston University, Birmingham, UK
M.Sc., Mobile and High Speed Telecommunication Networks, 2012
Oxford Brookes University, UK
B.Sc., Telecommunication and Networking, 2010
COMSATS University, Abbottabad, Pakistan
C and C++
C# and Unity
Publications (Full list: Google Scholar)
[cumulative impact factor: 30+]
- A. Akbar, M. Ibrar, M. A. Jan, A. K. Bashir and L. Wang, "SDN-enabled Adaptive and Reliable Communication in IoT-Fog Environment Using Machine Learning and Multi-Objective Optimization," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2020.3038768.
- Akbar A, Lewis PR and Wanner E (2020) A Self-Aware and Scalable Solution for Efficient Mobile-Cloud Hybrid Robotics. Front. Robot. AI 7:102
- Akbar A, Lewis PR. "Self-Adaptive and Self-Aware Mobile-Cloud Hybrid Robotics". In: Proceedings of the 2018 Fifth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security, Valencia, Spain, 2018, pp. 262-267.
- Akbar A, Lewis PR. "The importance of granularity in multiobjective optimization of mobile cloud hybrid applications". Trans Emerging Tel Tech. 2018;e3526.
- Akbar A, Lewis PR. "Towards the optimization of power and bandwidth consumption in mobile-cloud hybrid applications". In: Proceedings of the 2017 Second International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC); 2017; Valencia, Spain.
- Ibrar M, Wang L, Muntean GM, Akbar A, Shah N, Malik KR. PrePass-Flow: A Machine Learning based technique to minimize ACL policy violation due to links failure in hybrid SDN. Computer Networks. 2021 Jan 15;184:107706., doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2020.107706
- Ibrar M, Akbar A, Jan R, Jan MA, Wang L, Song H, Shah N. ARTNet: AI-based Resource Allocation and Task Offloading in a Reconfigurable Internet of Vehicular Networks. IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering. 2020 Dec 25., doi: 10.1109/TNSE.2020.3047454
- M. Ibrar, L. Wang, G. -M. Muntean, J. Chen, N. Shah and A. Akbar, "IHSF: An Intelligent Solution for Improved Performance of Reliable and Time-sensitive Flows in Hybrid SDN-based FC IoT Systems," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2020.3024560.
- Chen, M., Malook, T., Rehman, A.U., Muhammad, Y., Alshehri, M.D., Akbar, A., Bilal, M. and Khan, M.A., 2021. Blockchain-Enabled healthcare system for detection of diabetes. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 58, p.102771.
- Ibrar M, Wang L, Akbar A, Jan MA, Shah N, Abid SA, Segal M. 3-D-SIS: A 3-D-Social Identifier Structure for Collaborative Edge Computing Based Social IoT. IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems. 2021 Mar 22.
- Ibrar M, Wang L, Muntean GM, Shah N, Akbar A, Qureshi KI. SOSW: scalable and optimal nearsighted location selection for fog node deployment and routing in SDN-based wireless networks for IoT systems. Annals of Telecommunications. 2021 Apr 22:1-1.
- M. A. Jan, F. Khan, S. Mastorakis, M. Adil, A. Akbar and N. Stergiou, "LightIoT: Lightweight and secure communication for energy-efficient IoT in health informatics," in IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking, doi: 10.1109/TGCN.2021.3077318.
Grants and Scholarships
-  Student Registration Grant, awarded by US NSF, IEEE-TCI, to give a talk in the 2020 WORKSHOP ON SELF-AWARE COMPUTING (SEAC 2020) [Online].
-  Researcher Travel Grant, awarded by Systems Analytics Research Institute, to attend and present my paper in the Fifth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security in Valencia, Spain
-  Researcher Travel Grant, awarded by Aston Lab for Intelligent Collectives Engineering (ALICE) research group, to attend and present my paper in the Second International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC) in Valencia, Spain
-  Researcher Travel Grant, awarded by Aston Lab for Intelligent Collectives Engineering (ALICE) research group, to attend a summer school program: Application and Theory of Multi-objective Optimization (ATOM-17) at University of Lille, France.
-  Ph.D. Scholarship: HEC Overseas Ph.D scholarships for faculty development program, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan (AWKUM), Pakistan. The scholarship covered: Tuition fee, monthly expenses, a return air ticket to Pakistan, books allowance and thesis writing-up fee.